Monday, October 18, 2010

The Terrible Thing To Waste

Larry and Carl were very good friends. They also happen to be trapped in a gas station, where the latter works, while twenty-seven ravenously hungry zombies try to bust through their improvised barricades. Larry's been bitten but Carl doesn't know about it. The commotion that brought them to this place was so great that Larry's being bitten went unnoticed. "There's to many of them..." while he's counting the contents of a box filled with shotgun rounds, "...and not enough of these."
"As long as the barricades hold...we're fine if they don't...I'm done for," Larry said in a tone that had Carl paid more attention, he would have realized something was wrong.
"I doubt. Neither of us is a carpenter. They'll be going to burst down those in time. In fact, I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have."
"Maybe the army will show up in time."
"Most likely they'll just nuke this town."
"That wouldn't be so bad considering the circumstances."
"Yeah," Carl said, "I guess it's not the worst thing that could happen. That worst thing being outside right now."
"You know," Larry said, though he was actually delirious and neither of them realized this, "If we get out of this situation. Assuming a miracle happens and everything just works out, I'm going to do something with my life. I'm going to quit my job as a telemarketer and do what I really want to do. I'll go back to school and maybe start selling real estate or something."
"Yeah," Carl said, "That'd be nice. I think I'll finally marry Penelope. I'm not sure why I had to wait until now to realize that but nothing would make me happier than to do that."
However, Larry wasn't listening. You could tell this by him saying immediately after Carl stopped speaking, "I'd have to go and get scholarships or maybe take out a few student loans;. My grades aren't good but I could always get a tutor or something. It might be nice to study French with someone who natively speaks it. Yeah," Larry said, "I could definitely borrow somebody's brains. Somebody who knows how to use them," then said, "...or maybe I could just borrow yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment