Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One Night at Caroline's

One fine January evening, when I was fourteen, I visited a comedy club near Times Square to see one of my favorite stand-up comics perform. I will not say the comedian's name, but I will say that he had a very popular show on Comedy Central until he ran away to South Africa because he didn't like the direction the show was going. When I saw "The Lost Episodes" of this program that aired a year or so after the aforementioned incident I understood what he meant. When it was this comedian's turn to perform - because he was the main attraction - and the excellent opening acts were all finished, he walked up on stage and did his show. A third of the way into his routine he must have seen me sitting in the front with my family. He focused on me, easily the youngest person in this crowd (excluding my twin brother), and said, "You?" - "Yeah. You. How old are you?"
"Fourteen," I answered.
"You ever masturbate?" I didn't answer him then he went to a funny set about his techniques and routine when he did so. Fifteen or twenty minutes later he turned to me and said, "Hey you?" referring to me, "You ever watch 'Captain Planet'?" This time I answered him.
"Yes."
"Didn't you think the black one had the shittiest powers? EARTH!" then he went into another set, where he mentioned how "The South American one" had the worst power. He segued into other topics hilariously told. About half hour later the show was over. On the ride home I remember thinking, "I can't believe he asked me about Captain Planet?"


No comments:

Post a Comment